New Horizons

Welcome to New Horizons-A forum for all different kinds of discussions. Please Log in or Register to Post!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

New Horizons

Welcome to New Horizons-A forum for all different kinds of discussions. Please Log in or Register to Post!

New Horizons

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Updates about meeee!

Ace
    Ace
    NH Noble Member
    NH Noble Member

Number of posts : 4361
    Username Change Points : 11270
    Registration date : 2010-03-18
    Mood : Updates about meeee! Cool

Updates about meeee! Empty Updates about meeee!

Post by Ace Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:34 am

So I've been a real nincompoop on NH lately 'cause I haven't been active here much. If you don't mind a semi-long read, I'll present you with what's been up lately.

So, I'm at Oklahoma University atm. I have to say that I absolutely love it here. I never want to leave. Ever. Sure the surrounding state totally sucks, but inside this campus, it's almost paradise. I've made so many awesome friends and I've been doing so much awesome stuff that I already prefer living here far more than my past 3 homes. There's a surprising amount of international students here, which... well, surprised me. There's a LOT of Chinese students and a respectable amount of Muslims too, though I can only really tell they're Muslim because they're women wearing a hijab. :P

I joined the student government representation of my dorm area by becoming the president of Lawson Hall. There's 5 different dorm areas: Cate Center, Walker Tower, Adams Center, Couch Tower, and Headington Hall. Cate Center is made up of fifteen 4-story dorm halls, one of which is Lawson Hall. I rule that place, man. But anyway, the student government here is just as awesome as everything else. What we do is plan events for the rest of the student body, such as fun fair things or mass study times with free food. Right now the fun fair thing is a Luau scheduled for 9-27, and lemme tell you, it's gonna be a blast.

I'm planning on majoring in electrical engineering. Long story short, we handle things like circuitry, microprocessors, lasers, and radars.

I'm also planning on joining the SRT, or Solar Racing Team. What they do is build a solar-powered car from the ground up and make it as fast as possible while making it safe and at a reasonable cost, then race it against hundreds of other international teams in Australia come (I think) November 2014. As a freshman I won't do too much obviously, I'll just do a lot of learning and working with parts instead of actually formulating all the best builds, but eventually, if I make it to my senior year, I'll actually be doing a lot, plus stuff like that looks awesome on a resume, so I'm really looking forward to that as well.

One of the coolest people I've met so far is a guy from Egypt named Shady. :P We poke fun at his name all the time but he says it's like an Egyptian bird call or something... lolwut. I'm also real good friends with a girl who's an agnostic Jew learning Arabic. xD

So that's what's been going on here. What's up, my homies?
    jj16802
    jj16802
    NH Moderator
    NH Moderator

Number of posts : 8328
    Username Change Points : 11227
    Registration date : 2007-11-30
    Mood : Updates about meeee! Paranoid

Updates about meeee! Empty Re: Updates about meeee!

Post by jj16802 Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:03 pm

Any large amount of Asians not living on the coasts is a shock to me. Razz Just a sign of growing cultural diffusion I guess.

Anyways, I'm studying computer science at NYIT. We should pair up and create Skynet one day.

Parents are complaining about me not having a job, so I applied for a job for the campus's bookstore. Then they began complaining about my lack of classes this year. This was due to me dropping a 2 day a week Physics class (Bad professor) and taking an 1 day a week Environmental history course as a elective.

Oh yeah, GTA V came out yesterday. Probably getting it later next year.
    Ace
    Ace
    NH Noble Member
    NH Noble Member

Post by Ace Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:16 pm

Actually I was considering teaming up with an architectural engineer to create the Death Star... until I learned that there's not enough metal in and on the planet to make one. Skynet sounds like a solid plan B.

I haven't decided if I'll go into robotics or lasers though, or even if I'll stick with electrical engineering at all. Mechanical and nuclear engineering are pretty interesting too, as is aerospace, chemical, biological... well, you get the point. I'm interested in things in basically every branch of engineering except for civil/architectural. :\

I haven't played video games at all since I came to OU, which was on August 15th. Instead, I've occupied myself with playing pool... and there's almost nothing better than a good game of pool.
    jj16802
    jj16802
    NH Moderator
    NH Moderator

Post by jj16802 Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:26 pm

Wow, your school started two weeks early? Damn.

I remembered a time when I watched professional pool matches on TV. But I suck when I actually get the opportunity to play the game.

If you ask me, robotics seems to be the rage these days with the government's interest in unmanned warfare and limiting the number of casualties on the battlefield. I heard that a team consisting of family members attracted the attention of the military with their unmanned ground drone and was awarded a contract to research and develop for them. If you get lucky, you could save lives and profit off of it.

EDIT: Look at this fricking thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bio-inspired_Big_Dog_quadruped_robot_is_being_developed_as_a_mule_that_can_traverse_difficult_terrain.tiff

Or you can make the first government approved laser rifle. That's cool too! So far, the only application I heard was the Navy using a laser to take down aircraft.
    Ace
    Ace
    NH Noble Member
    NH Noble Member

Post by Ace Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:43 pm

lol Big Dog... seen a lot of them lately.

A laser rifle would be great... but so would an unmanned Iron Patriot. Hilarious Can't decide...
    jj16802
    jj16802
    NH Moderator
    NH Moderator

Post by jj16802 Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:05 am

Imagine what the next model could be! I'm hoping something along the lines of this:
    Updates about meeee! Helghast_trooper_carrier_11Updates about meeee! Helghast_trooper_carrier_31
    Ace
    Ace
    NH Noble Member
    NH Noble Member

Post by Ace Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:10 am

Sadly it all hangs on how "smart" computer scientists can make the robot's coding.

Maybe I'll just do both and make a robot with a laser rifle. Very Happy
    jj16802
    jj16802
    NH Moderator
    NH Moderator

Post by jj16802 Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:15 am

Yes, that'll get you the ultimate government contract! Cool

Previously posted drone in action:
    https://youtu.be/whnu9QiGzJ8?t=17s

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 17, 2024 11:25 am