New Horizons

Welcome to New Horizons-A forum for all different kinds of discussions. Please Log in or Register to Post!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

New Horizons

Welcome to New Horizons-A forum for all different kinds of discussions. Please Log in or Register to Post!

New Horizons

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Lesson in the nerve system and the brain

Ahmed
    Ahmed
    NH Admin
    NH Admin

Number of posts : 51452
    Username Change Points : 60916
    Registration date : 2007-10-14
    Mood : Lesson in the nerve system and the brain Tired

Lesson in the nerve system and the brain Empty Lesson in the nerve system and the brain

Post by Ahmed Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:48 pm

I'm wasting my time writing this so do me a favor and read. You'll be smarter. You don't want to elevate your levels of self-esteem in order to signal to your internal environment that you are at a greater degree of unity with the external environment? Then impress the ladies.

The nervous system is composed of the Central Nervous System (CNS) and the Peripheral Nervous System (CNS). The CNS is composed of the brain and the spinal cord. The PMS is all other neurons. There are three types of neural cells Somatic, Autonomic and (forgot). Somatic control the skeletal muscles, and the voluntary muscles. Autonomic control the non-voluntary msucles such as smooth muscles and cardio muscles. The nerve cell is composed of dendrites, a cell body and an axon. The dendrite is the receiving end of the neuron. The Axon terminal, which is the end of an Axon, is the signaling end. Neural cells communicate by releasing neurotransmitters from their synaptic bulbs, which are located on the ends of the terminal axons. Neurotransmitters consist of amino acids, such as Acetyl Choline, which is used in skeletal muscle contraction.

Neural cells, as well as all cells in the body, have a negative charge that surrounds the cell's membrane. This inner negative charge is known as the Resting Membrane Potential (RMP). At this state, the cell is polarized. Neural cells have graded potential run through. Graded potentials travel only a short range, as they never reach the axon, from the dendrite to the cell body. If the net graded potentials depolarize the neural cells RMP by about 25-30 mV, then the graded potential turns into an Action potential. Mechanically speaking, an action potential is when voltage gated sodium channels, which dot the axon, open , and nearby sodium ions quickly rush into the axon. During this time, the entry of sodium cations makes the cell membrane become more positive, thus further pushing the AP down the axon. Simultaneously, potassium voltage gated ion channels open and potassium cations are released from inside the cell to decrease (make it more negative) the cell membrane potential a bit. As the AP reached the synaptic bulb at the end of the axon, calcium channels open up and Calcium ions are taken in to further make the membrane potential positive, and thus having the last final push that makes the neural cell release the neurotransmitter into the synaptic cleft. And thus the neurotransmitter travels to another neuron.

And thus a chemical is transformed to an electrical potential and back to a chemical.
    Coolmeia
    Coolmeia
    NH Member
    NH Member

Number of posts : 2583
    Username Change Points : 9314
    Registration date : 2009-03-26
    Mood : Lesson in the nerve system and the brain Lonely

Lesson in the nerve system and the brain Empty Re: Lesson in the nerve system and the brain

Post by Coolmeia Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:48 am

Well written, easy to understand, yet interesting
    10/10
    Ahmed
    Ahmed
    NH Admin
    NH Admin

Number of posts : 51452
    Username Change Points : 60916
    Registration date : 2007-10-14
    Mood : Lesson in the nerve system and the brain Tired

Lesson in the nerve system and the brain Empty Re: Lesson in the nerve system and the brain

Post by Ahmed Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:49 am

Thanks. Writing what I learned out (or teaching it to others) helps it stick in my head (for exams).
    jj16802
    jj16802
    NH Moderator
    NH Moderator

Number of posts : 8328
    Username Change Points : 11054
    Registration date : 2007-11-30
    Mood : Lesson in the nerve system and the brain Paranoid

Post by jj16802 Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:01 am

Huh, I use a similar method to study these days by compacting all my notes on a page in a format that is easy for me to understand.
    Ace
    Ace
    NH Noble Member
    NH Noble Member

Number of posts : 4361
    Username Change Points : 11097
    Registration date : 2010-03-18
    Mood : Lesson in the nerve system and the brain Cool

Post by Ace Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:46 pm

Maybe I should do that for chem, considering I got a 45% on Friday's exam. Razz
    jj16802
    jj16802
    NH Moderator
    NH Moderator

Number of posts : 8328
    Username Change Points : 11054
    Registration date : 2007-11-30
    Mood : Lesson in the nerve system and the brain Paranoid

Post by jj16802 Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:47 pm

I saw my test results in technical math go up last year. It's way better than just looking over notes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:29 am