New Horizons

Welcome to New Horizons-A forum for all different kinds of discussions. Please Log in or Register to Post!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

New Horizons

Welcome to New Horizons-A forum for all different kinds of discussions. Please Log in or Register to Post!

New Horizons

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random phone research

jj16802
    jj16802
    NH Moderator
    NH Moderator

Number of posts : 8328
    Username Change Points : 11070
    Registration date : 2007-11-30
    Mood : Random phone research Paranoid

Random phone research Empty Random phone research

Post by jj16802

Because I'm bored, I started to look up cheap Android phones that could be a contender to replace my sluggish Huawei Prism. These look good:
    http://www.archos.com/products/smartphones/platinum/archos_53platinum/index.html?country=us&lang=en&p=4#a
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Archos-53-Platinum-Hands-on_id47205
    http://www.archos.com/products/smartphones/platinum/archos_50platinum/index.html?country=us&lang=en

Both phones have the same specs, except 53 has a larger screen size...
    MAIN SPECIFICATIONS
    [b][b]Dual Sim[/b][/b]• SIM 1 2G (GSM/GPRS/ EDGE 900/1800/1900 MHz) 
    • SIM 2 2G/3G (WCDMA 900/2100)
    [b][b]Data rate[/b][/b]• HSDPA 7,2 Mbit/s - HSUPA 5,76 Mbit/s
    [b][b]Operating System[/b][/b]• Android 4.1.2 ''Jelly Bean''
    [b][b]CPU[/b][/b]• Qualcomm 8225Q Quad Core cortex-A5 @1,2 GHz
    [b][b]RAM[/b][/b]• 1 GB
    [b][b]ROM[/b][/b]• 4 GB
    [b][b]Expendable memory[/b][/b]• Micro SD card up to 64 GB
    [b][b]Weight[/b][/b]• 189,9gr
    [b][b]Size[/b][/b]• 153,6x78x9,25mm
    [b][b]Battery size[/b][/b]• 2800 mAh
    [b][b]Standby Time[/b][/b]• 264h
    [b][b]Talk Time[/b][/b]• 2G : 21h 3G : 15h
    [b][b]G-sensor[/b][/b]• Yes
    [b][b]Proximity sensor[/b][/b]• Yes
    [b][b]Ambient light sensor[/b][/b]• Yes
    [b][b]GPS[/b][/b]• Yes with A-GPS
    [b][b]SAR[/b][/b]• MAX SA: Head 0,326 W/Kg, Body 0.749W/Kg
    SCREEN
    [b][b]Type[/b][/b]• IPS, Multitouch 5x, Capacitive
    [b][b]Size[/b][/b]• 5,3'' (13,5 cm)
    [b][b]Colors[/b][/b]• 16 Millions
    [b][b]Resolution[/b][/b]• 960 x 540 pixel (qHD) 220 DPI
    [b][b]Wide viewing angles[/b][/b]• Yes
    [b][b]Glass Type[/b][/b]
    If there's a sale on this phone, I may possibly get it.
    Share this post on: reddit

Ahmed

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:50 pm by Ahmed

Get a Nokia flip phone.
    jj16802

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:58 pm by jj16802

At most, I'm a bit interested in their Lumia phones... never tried a Windows phone before.
    Craig

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:09 pm by Craig

This is more or less my area.

I haven't had a WP7-8 phone but love them.

I'd recommend a cheap WP8 phone over a cheap Android phone.

Android improves and changes so much so fast that anything pre-ICS is practically useless. Even though Gingerbread is still decent, the phones are only good if they have an upgrade option (ROMs for 4.0+) or if you only want a phone to text, call & listen to music via default apps.
    jj16802

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:53 pm by jj16802

Gingerbread is what my Prism is currently using. I can at least use my Prism for a bit longer (Oh what am I saying, I just got the phone last year, of course I can use it longer, I just need to bear with the horrible CPU and internal memory storage/organization!) but what I'm looking for is something faster, has more internal memory storage, a version above Ice Cream Sandwich and is cheap. It looks like Archos is a small company, so I hope sometime by Summer or Spring of next year there is a sale or something.

Like I said, I haven't touched a Windows Phone yet, but I love their commercials of Apple and Android users fighting and seeing 2 WP users in the back relaxing. I might stick with Android though, just for the amount of apps available for the OS. Are they selling well compared to Android or iOS devices?

Also I love how the next version of Android is named after my favorite snack! Happy

Last edited by jj16802 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Craig

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:07 pm by Craig

Kitkat? Yeah, that's adorable.
    From personal experience I can say that WP8 is fast and smooth. The only problem you'll have in apps are if you want a tumblr or instagram app, which there are 3rd party apps available. Once I get one, I'll be participating in as many 3rd party app projects as possible.
    What are a few apps that you use now, or that you will use in the future? I'll be able to help you with finding alternatives and whatnot for both Android & WP8.
    They're also no selling as anticipated by Microsoft, but the devices are incredibly solid and can definitely live through more than an iPhone and certain Android devices. Just be sure to avoid HTC WP's, HTC focuses on Android so the support is pretty bad.

For Android, there are cheap devices with decent to high-end specs that are 4.0.3+. But the ones I find are mostly made in China, may not be a direct replacement for a name brand phone, phones.
    Otherwise you're as stuck with your phone as I am with mine. Gingerbread is amazing when you have good specs, but it seems the two that we have are a little under spec'd for actual usage.
    jj16802

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:15 pm by jj16802

For some reason, I can't find a shopping page for the Archos phone... it might be a EU only device, which would be disappointing.

For apps, I don't need Facebook/Twitter/Instagram or other social apps, I barely use them and they took up way too much space on the Prism. My ideal apps are Battlelog, Game wikis, GTA V's iFruit, and mobile games like Modern Combat, Call of Duty Zombies, ShadowGun, Dead Trigger and Critical Strike Portable.

Also I want to be prepared for the Playstation App if I ever get a PS4.
    Craig

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:24 pm by Craig

Depending on your provider you can use an EU device, who are you with?

& okay, I'll help you look at Android devices, how soon are you lookin to get it and do you mind if it is a no name or no brand at all phone?
    jj16802

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:29 pm by jj16802

I'm using T-Mobile.

Like I said before I'm in no rush to change devices immediately since I got the Prism in December of last year. I'm only looking at them now to see what my options could be. If you know any devices that could be used in my situation, go for it. I'll take a gander at anything you find.
    Craig

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:38 pm by Craig

T-Mobile prepaid or contract?

& lols sorry. I get into a certain mindset when researching phones. I even go window shopping serious-like for myself.

I'm gonna get a lumia in the future.
    jj16802

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:43 pm by jj16802

Pay as you go (Prepaid). I believe the Prism was designed to have some kind of data plan as well, but I never got one and it's been working out fine for me. All my web browsing needs are serviced by WiFi. I hope this will work on any smartphone as well.
    Craig

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:45 pm by Craig

As long as you have the PW for the Wi-Fi lol.

Why not get the $35 Unlimited 4G plan?
    jj16802

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:49 pm by jj16802

PW? Also I don't think my phone has 4G compatibility. Even if it did, I wouldn't really need it. Free WiFi is good enough for me.
    Craig

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:59 pm by Craig

the password for the wifi networks lol.
    jj16802

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:02 pm by jj16802

Mostly, I use my home or family/friend's private networks. I also go on public networks like in a mall, fast food restaurants or my school's WiFi.
    Craig

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:06 pm by Craig

Oh, I guess then.
    Everywhere has locked networks and never give out the passwords.

But unlimited 4g is awesome Razz I'll help search.
    jj16802

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:15 pm by jj16802

And I'm broke! Razz
    Craig

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:39 pm by Craig

Lol, unlimited 4g for $35 a month is great.

How much are you currently paying for?
    jj16802

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:45 pm by jj16802

Like I said, it's pay as you go. Pay for minutes, minutes expire on a certain date, add more minutes to extend expiration date.

I actually have been using Skype on my phone more than the phone's actual call function now... Hilarious Honestly, now that I think about, I might keep it around longer until the phone dies on me or something. Yay for Chinese technology!
    Craig

Post Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:49 pm by Craig

Oh, I started to associate Pre-Paid with Pay As You Go. Sorry about that.

I'll see what I can do, sorry.

Post  by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 11:47 pm