Converting..? Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

New Horizons
Welcome to New Horizons-A forum for all different kinds of discussions. Please Log in or Register to Post!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

New Horizons
Welcome to New Horizons-A forum for all different kinds of discussions. Please Log in or Register to Post!
New Horizons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Converting..?

+2
Ameer 2
Craig
6 posters

Go down

Converting..? Empty Converting..?

Post by Craig Sat May 12, 2012 9:52 pm

Some dude is trying to convert me to Islamic.

It's actually pretty interesting, and I'm considering. Since the things that I pulled from Christanity are sorta will with it, from what I think I heard.
Craig
Craig
NH Member
NH Member

Number of posts : 10059
Username Change Points : 19323
Registration date : 2009-07-27
Mood : Converting..? Tired

Back to top Go down

Converting..? Empty Re: Converting..?

Post by Ameer 2 Sat May 12, 2012 10:09 pm

If you're going to consider converting to any religion, it's imperative to ultimately go back to the original sources and do the reading/research for yourself. Google is definetely not going to help you understand things better, there's generally plenty of hate material that is mutually exchanged between the three Abrahamic faiths (and Hinduism sort of comes in the picture once in a while as well lol). The hate material is mostly classed as "polemics" and for the most part is just a cheap shot to 'score points' without coming to a genuine understanding of the assailed religion.

So ye, it's preferrable to approach everything with a clear head and resort to the canonical texts of the religion you're interested in (in this case the Quran) in order to fully comprehend the teachings and judge for yourself.

Ameer 2
Ameer 2
NH Member
NH Member

Number of posts : 585
Username Change Points : 5852
Registration date : 2010-08-30
Mood : Converting..? Mellow

Back to top Go down

Post by Craig Sat May 12, 2012 10:34 pm

Well, he linked me to a few readings and references.
I'm never going to believe all from a single source.

I have a single doubt about one of the things said mostly in the religion, but it, itself seems to be together.

I'm unsure where I could actually get a copy of the Quran. Or I could hide it from my ever so Islamic hating father.

But I do feel that I can actually sit down, read some translations, learn from more close believers & tried the practices now.

Craig
Craig
NH Member
NH Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ace Sat May 12, 2012 10:36 pm

They all suck IMO Razz
Ace
Ace
NH Noble Member
NH Noble Member

Number of posts : 4361
Username Change Points : 11270
Registration date : 2010-03-18
Mood : Converting..? Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Ameer 2 Sat May 12, 2012 11:10 pm

haesri wrote:Well, he linked me to a few readings and references.
I'm never going to believe all from a single source.

I have a single doubt about one of the things said mostly in the religion, but it, itself seems to be together.

I'm unsure where I could actually get a copy of the Quran. Or I could hide it from my ever so Islamic hating father.

But I do feel that I can actually sit down, read some translations, learn from more close believers & tried the practices now.

Mm, faith is ofcourse something personal and time needs to be given to compare, reflect and come to fitting conclusions. The steady approach you're taking to such a consideration is admirable without a doubt.

They all suck IMO

Not true, most of the prominent translations of the Quran are pretty decent (such as the one by Abdullah Yusuf Ali, Ahmed Ali etc.).
Ameer 2
Ameer 2
NH Member
NH Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Flame99966 Sat May 12, 2012 11:45 pm

quranexplorer.com has the Quran in its entirety in original Arabic and multiple English translations.

That being said, don't convert because you "sorta" think it sounds good. Only convert if you fully believe in it. Faith is important, and if you don't fully believe in it, then you'll regret converting later.
Dark Flame99966
Dark Flame99966
NH Member
NH Member

Number of posts : 6018
Username Change Points : 8587
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Ahmed Sun May 13, 2012 12:12 am

Yeah conversion is a big thing. If you are serious, then I recommend you learn about the religion. What it's about. Etc. If you are convinced then convert. There is no force and don't feel pressured at all.
Ahmed
Ahmed
NH Admin
NH Admin

Number of posts : 51452
Username Change Points : 61089
Registration date : 2007-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Ameer 2 Sun May 13, 2012 8:55 am

Quran.com is a brillianty layed out website, and has the whole Quran translated with all its 114 chapters. Quranexplorer is good but the font is too small and the layout can give you an eyesore at times lol, anyway you can verify that for yourself.
Ameer 2
Ameer 2
NH Member
NH Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Fangy Sun May 13, 2012 12:46 pm

I hope you make the right choice, or at least whatever suits you! Smile
Fangy
Fangy
NH Retired Moderator
NH Retired Moderator

Number of posts : 8314
Username Change Points : 14227
Registration date : 2009-03-23
Mood : Converting..? Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by Ace Sun May 13, 2012 3:39 pm

Dark Flame99966 wrote:That being said, don't convert because you "sorta" think it sounds good. Only convert if you fully believe in it. Faith is important, and if you don't fully believe in it, then you'll regret converting later.

QFT. Don't convert unless you're fosho sure about it.

If you do end up converting, you'll have to take the time to pray five times a day, and eventually you'll have to visit Mecca. Islam is a bit more demanding than Christianity, I think.
Ace
Ace
NH Noble Member
NH Noble Member

Number of posts : 4361
Username Change Points : 11270
Registration date : 2010-03-18
Mood : Converting..? Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Craig Sun May 13, 2012 4:12 pm

Yeah, it is.

Unfortunately it was just the feel of that moment.

However as I usually do when I study a religion I learned stuff and am going to keep it in my heart.

but don't ask me what it is.
Craig
Craig
NH Member
NH Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ameer 2 Sun May 13, 2012 5:10 pm

Ace wrote:
Dark Flame99966 wrote:That being said, don't convert because you "sorta" think it sounds good. Only convert if you fully believe in it. Faith is important, and if you don't fully believe in it, then you'll regret converting later.

If you do end up converting, you'll have to take the time to pray five times a day, and eventually you'll have to visit Mecca. Islam is a bit more demanding than Christianity, I think.

It can actually be made into 3 times a day, you can combine the noon & afternoon prayers and sunset and night prayers. Morning prayer is on its own tho. The combined prayers take less than 10 mins, but ye this is something that isn't ingrained in any initiate.

Ameer 2
Ameer 2
NH Member
NH Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Flame99966 Sun May 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Ameer 2 wrote:
Ace wrote:

It can actually be made into 3 times a day, you can combine the noon & afternoon prayers and sunset and night prayers. Morning prayer is on its own tho. The combined prayers take less than 10 mins, but ye this is something that isn't ingrained in any initiate.

Never heard of this except for travelers or sick people.
Dark Flame99966
Dark Flame99966
NH Member
NH Member

Number of posts : 6018
Username Change Points : 8587
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down