New Horizons

Welcome to New Horizons-A forum for all different kinds of discussions. Please Log in or Register to Post!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

New Horizons

Welcome to New Horizons-A forum for all different kinds of discussions. Please Log in or Register to Post!

New Horizons

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Ameer 2
L
Doc
7 posters

Most important battles in history

Doc
    Doc
    NH Member
    NH Member

Number of posts : 15155
    Username Change Points : 15319
    Registration date : 2007-10-25
    Mood : Most important battles in history Relaxed

Most important battles in history Empty Most important battles in history

Post by Doc Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:00 am

Name them

I'll start

* Battle of Badr ... No explanation necessary ... the greatest world changing battle in history

- Battle of Yarmouk ... another world changing battle ... Syria is liberated from the Romans, a province they would never regain again

- Battle of Firaz ... Showed that no earthly power could compete with Divine mandate nor could the Sword of Allah be defeated in battle

- Battle of Stalingrad ... witnessed the shift in the balance of power in WW2 ...

- Battle of Waterloo ... Napoleon is done after this ... even though he really had no chance in the first place ...

- Battle of Carrhae ... after years of Roman dominance the Parthians capture and kill the Caesar of the Roman empire after parading him around like a woman

- Battle of Marathon ... "western civilization" is "saved" according to some ... even if all don't believe that to be true its importance cannot be denied ... Absolutely devastating defeat for the Persians ...

- Battle of Agincourt ... the french get urinated on as usual

- Battle of Tours ... Again according to some this battle literally ensures that Christianity would be the dominant religion of western europe ... and according to others it was just a border skirmish ... either way the Muslims do not advance any further into western europe

- Second Siege of Constantinople ... Byzantine empire manages to survive and it is a devastating loss for the Muslims ... first siege was not as decisive as a battle as this ...

- Battle of Midway ... America becomes a world super power ... importance cannot be denied ...

- Conquest of Constantinople ... The final end of the Roman empire and the gate from the east to the west is now controlled by an empire that would challenge the whole of europe at once ... fulfillment of a prophecy as well ..

- Battle of Vienna ... Although i was going to put the siege of Vienna instead I think this was more important ... this is where the Ottoman empire is finally stopped ...

- Battle of Hattin - Irreversible loss for the crusaders ... so much so that according to some this battle caused the pope to die of shock and despair and the true cross of the christians fell into the hands of the Muslims ... the battle led to the reconquest of Jerusalem as well as other crusader controlled territories ...

- Battle of Gaugamela ... led to the end of largest empire in history at that point in time ... establishes Alexander as one of the best generals in history

Battle of Manzikert ... Quite simply the biggest disaster in Byzantine history ... the Byzantine emperor is captured by the Turks and nearly the whole of Anatolia falls to them ... its so humiliating for them that when the emperor is released on tribute his own people blind him and exile him ... Byzantines are essentially a vassal state of the Turks

- Battle of al-Qādisiyyah ... Persian empire finally conquered by the Khilafat

- Battle of Ayn Jalut ... Mongols defeated for the first time in history by the Mamluks in a pitched open field battle ...

- Battle of Cannae ... in sort ... Hannibal pwns the Romans

- Battle of Kadesh ... First real recorded battle in history ... and it involves Egypt so there you go Ahmed Rolling Eyes

- Battle of Al Mansurah ... Once again, the French get urinated on ... this time by Egypt instead of England ...

Feel free to add on

And notice that the French only have 1 battle victory on this list ... the battle of Tours ... and that was too by treachery
    L
    L
    NH Founder
    NH Founder

Number of posts : 1302
    Username Change Points : 6715
    Registration date : 2010-12-28
    Mood : Most important battles in history Fine

Most important battles in history Empty Re: Most important battles in history

Post by L Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:26 am

French can't fight. But how'd you make this list?
    Doc
    Doc
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by Doc Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:53 am

i asked my memory Very Happy
    Ameer 2
    Ameer 2
    NH Member
    NH Member

Number of posts : 585
    Username Change Points : 5853
    Registration date : 2010-08-30
    Mood : Most important battles in history Mellow

Post by Ameer 2 Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:47 pm

Man do you love researching wars lol. What about the Battle of The Trench? Don't forget how the meccans were completely demoralized when Ali ibn abi Taleb killed Amr and a few of his buddies who crossed the trench. So they outnumbered the muslims 3x yet could never reach them and were eventually driven away by the weather. It established our Nabi's political power in Medina for good which was about to be completely annihilated by a genocidal attack.
    Doc
    Doc
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by Doc Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:03 pm

I didn't want to include the ghazwas of Nabi (saw) ... they're special ... and so are the campaigns of the rest of the Sahabah ....

Hazrat Ali's (ra) greatest feats were witnessed at Khyber where he nearly soloed the whole of enemies forces
    Doc
    Doc
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by Doc Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:15 pm

Also I forgot to add the Battle of Salamis ... Where the Persian fleet was destroyed ... even though storms had already destroyed most of it ...

And the Battle of Badger Mouth .... HUGE in terms of number and importance ... it secured the Mongol victory over China

Ameer 2
    Ameer 2
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by Ameer 2 Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:24 pm

Khandaq was considered a ghazwa??? I don't understand. And yeah I guess Khaybar displayed some of Ali's (as) greatest feats.
    Doc
    Doc
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by Doc Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:35 pm

Any battle that involved the Prophet (saw) personally is a ghazwa
    preid1220
    preid1220
    NH Moderator
    NH Moderator

Number of posts : 10749
    Username Change Points : 12014
    Registration date : 2007-11-06
    Mood : Most important battles in history Stressed

Post by preid1220 Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:57 pm

The Invasion of Normandy, largest amphibious operation in history!
    Ameer 2
    Ameer 2
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by Ameer 2 Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:39 pm

Talwar Khan wrote:Any battle that involved the Prophet (saw) personally is a ghazwa

Yeah I just remembered that, my mistake >.< . I guess what kept me in confusion was badr being mentioned as one of the most important wars and yet technically it was a ghazwa.

Hmm, there's gotta be more important wars. I'll search up the invasion of normandy, doesn't sound very elegant and symbolic though confused
    L
    L
    NH Founder
    NH Founder

Post by L Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:57 pm

Impressive...I never heard if half the wars listed.
    Fangy
    Fangy
    NH Retired Moderator
    NH Retired Moderator

Number of posts : 8314
    Username Change Points : 14228
    Registration date : 2009-03-23
    Mood : Most important battles in history Cheerful

Post by Fangy Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:13 pm

Yeah, what Preid said.
    Doc
    Doc
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by Doc Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:19 pm

preid1220 wrote:The Invasion of Normandy, largest amphibious operation in history!

i dont get how germany managed to survive as long as it did ...
    preid1220
    preid1220
    NH Moderator
    NH Moderator

Number of posts : 10749
    Username Change Points : 12014
    Registration date : 2007-11-06
    Mood : Most important battles in history Stressed

Post by preid1220 Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:39 pm

Talwar Khan wrote:
    preid1220 wrote:The Invasion of Normandy, largest amphibious operation in history!

i dont get how germany managed to survive as long as it did ...

Germany had great generals, and a very bad leader.
    Doc
    Doc
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by Doc Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:44 pm

he was retarded

u cant just conquer all of europe like that ... and u NEVER go into russia ... just do it gradually if ur gonna do somehting ...
    Ace
    Ace
    NH Noble Member
    NH Noble Member

Number of posts : 4361
    Username Change Points : 11271
    Registration date : 2010-03-18
    Mood : Most important battles in history Cool

Post by Ace Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:56 pm

Hitler got owned the same way Napoleon did. He's such a failure...
    Dark Flame99966
    Dark Flame99966
    NH Member
    NH Member

Number of posts : 6018
    Username Change Points : 8588
    Registration date : 2007-10-15

Post by Dark Flame99966 Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Hitler was actually a very good leader who simply got carried away.

And he realized that Jews as a minority had a disproportionately large amount of power.
    L
    L
    NH Founder
    NH Founder

Post by L Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:07 pm

Anyone who denies Hitler's brilliance as a leader is stupid IMO.
    Ace
    Ace
    NH Noble Member
    NH Noble Member

Post by Ace Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:23 pm

He repeatedly made mistakes that easily could have been prevented, like the poor planning of the invasion of Russia, and his negligence of following Rommel's advice.

Do you want me to start insulting your intelligence? Because I have no problem with doing so, even if I'm baited into it.
    Dark Flame99966
    Dark Flame99966
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by Dark Flame99966 Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:02 pm

Why would you insult our intelligence? Hitler brought Germany to an almost superpower if not superpower status at the time, he created a large youth group that allowed children to voluntarily give up their parents, and he also managed to make Germany a world leader in scientific research.

Ace
    Ace
    NH Noble Member
    NH Noble Member

Post by Ace Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:45 pm

Because my intelligence was insulted, and I will return the favor if needed.

He also created one of the bloodiest wars in human history, wanted to murder anyone that didn't think the way he did, and abolished all rights of Jews, Gypsies, homos, and anyone with a disability. And when someone tried to assassinate him, he executed like 5,000 innocent civilians if I remember correctly. What the hell kind of a leader is that?
    L
    L
    NH Founder
    NH Founder

Post by L Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:52 pm

You sure it was your intelligence that got insulted?

In any case, I don't care what he did. I'm talking about his leadership skills.
    Dark Flame99966
    Dark Flame99966
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by Dark Flame99966 Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:52 pm

Yes, the man is evil and devoid of moral sense but he's still a good leader. The Holocaust had some fundamental flaws that caused Hitler to lose but had he been offensive in different areas, such as going and defeating England rather than trying to invade Russia, there could have been a huge change in what happened.
    Ace
    Ace
    NH Noble Member
    NH Noble Member

Post by Ace Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:04 am

A good leader doesn't hold mass executions of his own people. If you overlook all his moral decisions, which for me is pretty hard to do, then I guess he was a great leader.

Anyone who denies Hitler's brilliance as a leader is stupid IMO.

... Yeah, I'm sure.
    L
    L
    NH Founder
    NH Founder

Post by L Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:40 am

You dont need morals to have great leadership skills.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 18, 2024 1:33 am