Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

New Horizons
Welcome to New Horizons-A forum for all different kinds of discussions. Please Log in or Register to Post!
New Horizons
Welcome to New Horizons-A forum for all different kinds of discussions. Please Log in or Register to Post!
New Horizons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Horizons

PortalHomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ahmed
NH Admin
NH Admin
Ahmed

Number of posts : 51452
Username Change Points : 61089
Registration date : 2007-10-14
Mood : Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt Tired

Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt Empty
PostSubject: Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt   Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 7:43 pm

If you guys have heard of Rome:Total War, its an awesome war-startegy game set up in the time of the Roman Empire.

Later on another development team, made a Mod for the game Rome: Total War to rectify its historical inaccuraties and so on. The game with the mod is called Rome: Total Realism

In Rome: Total war wikipedia sasy it all:

Quote :
Egypt is a relatively strong faction that usually dominates the eastern map under AI control. Their main enemies are factions such as Parthia, the Seleucid Empire, Armenia, and Numidia. In the long term the biggest potential threat to Egypt is Rome and vica versa.

Egypt (unlockable): troops tend to be lightly armored due to the climate of the area. While historically the armies of Egypt should be quite similar to those of the Macedonian factions (consisting mainly of phalanx troops along with light cavalry), the Egyptian army consists of large units of axemen, bowmen, phalanx spearmen and various types of chariots. In the game Egypt's location begins in today's Egypt, Israel, Lebanon and Cyprus. When under AI control, Egypt usually destroys the Seleucid Empire and becomes the dominant power in the East. It rarely faces Roman factions until near the end of the game.

In Rome: Total Realism however, the wikipedia says:

Quote :
The most severe criticism was reserved for the game's depiction of Ancient Egypt. Rome portrays the Egyptian faction more as the Pharaonic Middle-Eastern empire of the tenth century BC than the Ptolemaic successor state to Alexander's empire it actually was in the period of the game (270 BC–AD 14). The developers of Rome stated that a chariot-dominated Egypt that matched their consumers' expectations was considered more fun, and a sounder business strategy, than yet another phalanx-based Hellenistic race to match the four already present in the game (the Greek Cities, Macedon, the Seleucid Empire and Thrace). The RTR developers concluded that the wildly differing starting conditions and other differences between the Ptolemaic Empire and, for instance, Macedon, provided sufficient distinction to provide a unique playing experience without having to resort to adding units from previous millennia. The Egyptian faction has therefore been completely remodeled to better reflect its armies of the time.

I see the points for both sides. So I am neutral on this. And if I do go with Rome: Total War it would probably have largely to do with my bias. Smile

So the Question is: Would you rather having a Historically accurate video game or a game that adds a unique element to make the game more fun?

P.S.: Here is a clip of the Egyptian Civilization in Total War (There are many more on YouTube):

Back to top Go down
Hassan
NH Retired Moderator
NH Retired Moderator
Hassan

Number of posts : 6555
Username Change Points : 10569
Registration date : 2007-10-23
Mood : Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt Busy

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt   Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 7:54 pm

Quote :
So the Question is: Would you rather having a Historically accurate video game or a game that adds a unique element to make the game more fun?
I think that it is better if it is accurate, but if any changes are made for whatever purpose in a historically based game, those changes should be stated clearly...
Back to top Go down
Ahmed
NH Admin
NH Admin
Ahmed

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt   Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 8:20 pm

Well Hassan it is quite known, I eman you just need to know history to tell.

The developers of the genuine Rome:Total War said that it would be repetitive if Egypt is one of the Hellenstic states...so they wanted to make it more fun. They said that.
Back to top Go down
Hassan
NH Retired Moderator
NH Retired Moderator
Hassan

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt   Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 8:31 pm

Exactly,as long as the player is told that this is not exactly what happened, the game would be fine...
Back to top Go down
Ahmed
NH Admin
NH Admin
Ahmed

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt   Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 8:38 pm

Well its a video game. Players usually want to be winners.

It wouldn't make sense if it striclty sticks to reality becasue will just play as Rome all the time.
Back to top Go down
Hassan
NH Retired Moderator
NH Retired Moderator
Hassan

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt   Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 8:47 pm

One could be Egypt and "change history" lol
Back to top Go down
Ahmed
NH Admin
NH Admin
Ahmed

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt   Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 10:09 pm

That's the point! Razz

If the game strictly sticks to history, then Egypt would have lost...
Back to top Go down
Theory
NH Member
NH Member

Number of posts : 631
Username Change Points : 6302
Registration date : 2007-11-06
Mood : Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt Fine

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt   Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 11:59 pm

Realism is good, too much realism is bad. Unless your making a virtual life sim or something. However if realism makes it more fun, then do it, it depends really. slanty
Back to top Go down
Ahmed
NH Admin
NH Admin
Ahmed

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt   Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 12:29 am

^^^Some people, like the developers of the Realism version, say that making it historically accuarate does not take anything from the fun of the game at all...

Do you agree?
Back to top Go down
Theory
NH Member
NH Member

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt   Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 1:33 am

For Rome Total war? It wouldn't, but that's just Rome. It may change the strategies but ruin the fun, not really.
Back to top Go down
Ahmed
NH Admin
NH Admin
Ahmed

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt   Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 1:40 am

The object of Rome Total War is bascailly to crush the Romans and try to capture as many Roman provinces as possible...In history Rome is never actually defeated by anyone, rather it collapses into the Byantine empire and western Europe.
Back to top Go down
Theory
NH Member
NH Member

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt   Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 6:56 pm

They made an expansion pack, Rome Total War: Barbarian Invasion. It takes place after Romes downfall, and you play as one of the barbarian factions. It's harder though.
Back to top Go down
Hassan
NH Retired Moderator
NH Retired Moderator
Hassan

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt   Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 7:21 pm

Just curious, who are they calling "barbarians"?
Back to top Go down
Ahmed
NH Admin
NH Admin
Ahmed

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt   Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 7:37 pm

Yeah, I knwo that, they also made the Rome: Alexander one.

In the Barbarian Invasion game there are these factions: Romans, Hunnic, Nomadic, Barbarian, Eastern, North African and rebels.

The Barabarian faction is compromised of:

Saxons, Franks, Alemanni, Celts, Burgundii and Lombardi.
Back to top Go down
Hassan
NH Retired Moderator
NH Retired Moderator
Hassan

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt   Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 10:31 pm

Thanks for telling me this. I will elaborate later...
Back to top Go down
Ahmed
NH Admin
NH Admin
Ahmed

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt   Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 11:34 pm

w00t! I just slaughtered the Romans with Carthage.

P.S.: EVenthough my elephants went crazy and killed my own people Razz
Back to top Go down
Hassan
NH Retired Moderator
NH Retired Moderator
Hassan

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt   Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 1:50 am

congratz I guess...and sorry about "your people" lol
Back to top Go down
Ahmed
NH Admin
NH Admin
Ahmed

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt   Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 1:29 pm

Well they were in my "army"... Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt   Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rome Total War/Realism: Egypt
Page 1 of 1