Society. Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

New Horizons

Welcome to New Horizons-A forum for all different kinds of discussions. Please Log in or Register to Post!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

New Horizons

Welcome to New Horizons-A forum for all different kinds of discussions. Please Log in or Register to Post!

New Horizons

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Steve
den denz
6 posters

Society.

den denz
    den denz
    NH Member
    NH Member

Number of posts : 870
    Username Change Points : 6054
    Registration date : 2008-06-22
    Mood : Society. Cool

Society. Empty Society.

Post by den denz Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:26 am

Ok see if you can get your head around this.

The other day i was thinking about how we always get into troubble for doing things like burping and whatnot.

At first I was like, yes it is a disscusting habit, but then I began to wonder, is it?

And the point isn't really is burping a yucky habit, its more why has society deemed a natural passing off gas to be considered foul. And who came up with it, it certainly started somewhere, and why did this person have the authority to make the dission that would last thousands of years?

ANd then what other mindsets has society put on us that we follow without questioning because that is how we were rasied?

I mean in passed times society sure has got it wrong, womens rights, slavery, and the list goes on,

You might read this and think who cares its not like you can compare burping with slavery anyways, but that is not what I am trying to do.

Back when slavery was around it was as well accepted as having 2 legs is in todays society, but someone stopped and questioned it.

The point isn't about burping but rather what rules that society has put on us, aren't we seeing?
    Which will be seen in years to come to make the generatins after think how could they?

And one more question, who gave society the right to rule our lives?
    Steve
    Steve
    NH Member
    NH Member

Number of posts : 7323
    Username Change Points : 11443
    Registration date : 2007-11-29
    Mood : Society. Relaxed

Society. Empty Re: Society.

Post by Steve Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:44 am

i think its to do with shame, most people feel abit ashamed by burping when its louder than they expected or smelly, or even if the burp was unexpected. and the same goes for slavery (in a roundabout sort of way) i think people knew keeping someone as a slave was wrong, even if they forgot over time.

so its not so much society but its ourselves in my opinion.
    den denz
    den denz
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by den denz Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:48 am

Yes but where did we get our opinions from?

And who decides what smells are good and bad?

Again you are raised with that, third world country kids dont dislike it, not because they got used to a bad smell but because that bad smell isn't regarded as bad rather as normal.
    Steve
    Steve
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by Steve Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:58 am

third world kids live with flies eating them alive, i don't think they are a suitable example. Ok so lets look at another bodily gas getting released, people don't like the smell of manure or shit. probably because we don't work on farms and were not used to it, like people were used to having slaves.
    den denz
    den denz
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by den denz Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:00 am

Yeah go steve he gets my point (almost) so if it is ok there why not here?

Who decided it is a bad smell??
    preid1220
    preid1220
    NH Moderator
    NH Moderator

Number of posts : 10749
    Username Change Points : 12013
    Registration date : 2007-11-06
    Mood : Society. Stressed

Post by preid1220 Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:10 am

smell is good or bad depending on how the persons body thinks, also steve no cursing
    Steve
    Steve
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by Steve Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:38 am

to a finer point its true that smells are good or bad depending on the person, but there are things which are agreed as good or bad, normally the bad smells are things which are strong like raw fish, sewage and manure.

these things are bad because we dont like the smell of them, and some people will be used to them but it was decided as a bad smell by ourselves.
    burping can be embarrassing and is therefore something you dont do in public, the disgust comes from people being dead set against burping because they dont want to.

i hope you see my point denz
    den denz
    den denz
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by den denz Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:23 am

Yes steve I see your point and I read it as: I was brought up one way and have a closed mindset, is that what you were trying to say?

We all grew up learning that poo smells bad and chocolate smells great, but it is in most cases because of how we grew up.
    If society decided that something else natural like blood flowing through your feet as well as you tummy was gross beyond comparrison than you would believe that to be true.

If you grew up in a world where poo was celebrated as the cleansing of one self everyone loved the smell then Id put m money that you would to. the only reason why you fight me on this subject is because the concept of a world so different to ours every exsisiting is to far out there for you to believe. Just like that of the generations of slavery with closed mindsets.

If we all stood together and couldn't see the world in any light other than that it is in now or is soon becoming than we would walk to school, dressed in leaves following the river and waving to our neibours ssitting in their huts along the river.
    Steve
    Steve
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by Steve Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:23 am

den denz wrote:Yes steve I see your point and I read it as: I was brought up one way and have a closed mindset, is that what you were trying to say?

Actually i think that's what your trying to say.

den denz wrote:We all grew up learning that poo smells bad and chocolate smells great, but it is in most cases because of how we grew up.
    If society decided that something else natural like blood flowing through your feet as well as you tummy was gross beyond comparison than you would believe that to be true.

see, this is you saying that the environment you grow up in (i use that word to say peer pressure, how you were raised and everything out side of you that effects you) determines how we perceive everything.

My point is things which are rude or deemed unpleasant by society are linked to personal morals and opinions. Basically if 20 of 30 people like red hats then red hats are welcomed into society.

den denz wrote:If you grew up in a world where poo was celebrated as the cleansing of one self everyone loved the smell then Id put my money that you would to.

re-iterating your previous point.

if everyone around you drops litter, you might feel peer pressure to do it too, if you don't want to. But that doesn't say for certain if you do or do not drop litter. We don't get morals made of stone from society, and morals are key to being socially acceptable.

den denz wrote: the only reason why you fight me on this subject is because the concept of a world so different to ours ever existing is too far out there for you to believe.

now your starting to get personal, you must have a very low opinion of me.
    samthedragon
    NH Member
    NH Member

Number of posts : 844
    Username Change Points : 6177

Post by samthedragon Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:26 am

preid1220 wrote:also steve no cursing

*cough* {personal information removed} *cough*
    preid1220
    preid1220
    NH Moderator
    NH Moderator

Post by preid1220 Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:22 pm

The reason we don’t like smells like that may also be because if you rub raw fish on a cut you may get infected and this would lead to death without medication so out body’s recognize bad smells as danger, also a little fact, when the Romans were fighting the barbarians the called the barbarians smelly even when they took less baths then the barbarians, this is because the barbarians used bear fat to smell better, the Romans preferred more accepted methods to smell better (don’t take my word on this I’m not 100% sure)
    Ahmed
    Ahmed
    NH Admin
    NH Admin

Number of posts : 51452
    Username Change Points : 61089
    Registration date : 2007-10-14
    Mood : Society. Tired

Post by Ahmed Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:51 pm

Well it is considered disgusting because it disturbs other people. And society is not about 1 person, but it is about many people.

Another example is cloth. Your society shapes the way you dress.
    den denz
    den denz
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by den denz Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:42 pm

Steve wrote:

if everyone around you drops litter, you might feel peer pressure to do it too, if you don't want to. But that doesn't say for certain if you do or do not drop litter. We don't get morals made of stone from society, and morals are key to being socially acceptable.

Yes, so what I am saying is the aborginals of Australia didn't have a problem with littering (because all their tools and stuff were natural and biodegradable) and then in came the europeans and the society changed. But for the europeans it also hadn't been that way forever, it starts with one person and then those that will listen to them, and after a while it becomes socially accepted and anything other than it becomes unacceptable.

Then it passes through the generation until we get to a phase like todays world where half of the society rules we follow we cant even remember where they came from, we accept them without questioning them.

But my original question was who has the authority to start these, and why do we give them this hold over us, thousands of years after our death.

Please don't read this and single in on one particular issue, a lot of what they have made happen is good like good manners, but what im saying is that in the past they accepted things as normal that today we look upon as completely ridiculous, so what are we doing today that will bring on the same response in 20-30 years from now??
    preid1220
    preid1220
    NH Moderator
    NH Moderator

Post by preid1220 Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:50 pm

I think that things like litter is just human nature, we are laze and being humans we want to get rid of our trash with as little possible energy used as possible, what’s easier than just dropping it?
    Ahmed
    Ahmed
    NH Admin
    NH Admin

Post by Ahmed Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:06 pm

I think I have a solution for where these restrictions come from:

Denz where did the no-hitting-girls rule come from?
    den denz
    den denz
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by den denz Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:42 pm

Thats what I mean it comes from your parents who got it from theirs who got it from.... who started it?
    Steve
    Steve
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by Steve Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:50 pm

preid1220 wrote:The reason we don’t like smells like that may also be because if you rub raw fish on a cut you may get infected and this would lead to death without medication so out body’s recognize bad smells as danger.

preid agrees with me.

den denz wrote:it starts with one person and then those that will listen to them, and after a while it becomes socially accepted and anything other than it becomes unacceptable.

your logic is faulty, this isnt how it happens but I've spent enouth effort on trying to convince you otherwise.
    preid1220
    preid1220
    NH Moderator
    NH Moderator

Post by preid1220 Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:42 am

omg i can not beleave i agree with steve :affraid:
    den denz
    den denz
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by den denz Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:56 am

You didn't he has no idea what he is going on about.
    Steve
    Steve
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by Steve Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:58 am

you think i can post so much without knowing what im talking about? denz, your the closed minded one.
    den denz
    den denz
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by den denz Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:59 am

Lol, the amount you post has no connction with your knowledge.
    Ahmed
    Ahmed
    NH Admin
    NH Admin

Post by Ahmed Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:11 am

So you think he was posting nonsense?

A classic (not really) example where you are wrong.

The Muslim women that wear the hijab (headscarf), it is worn by many people in the west. Yet it is not "accepted by society" or in other words "society is not comfortable" with the hijab. And there is no denying that.

So how come Denz?
    Steve
    Steve
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by Steve Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:37 am

den denz wrote:Lol, the amount you post has no connction with your knowledge.
    it's not my style to post in the way i did earlier in the thread withoout being certain about something.
    Doc
    Doc
    NH Member
    NH Member

Number of posts : 15155
    Username Change Points : 15318
    Registration date : 2007-10-25

Post by Doc Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:20 am

Its called enculturation and acculturation ... and steve is right ... this all traces back to gaining acceptance within society ... if a classroom full of people insist that 2+2=5 you'll start to question what you've been taught and there's a huge chance that you'll end up agreeing that 2+2=5
    den denz
    den denz
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by den denz Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:31 am

Huh? Well what ever what steve said backed me up which is why i got so frustrated.

But that's where im at im sick of the world telling me 2+2=5 and i no that it doesent so now im looking to what else ive been mislead by.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 17, 2024 3:36 pm