New Horizons

Welcome to New Horizons-A forum for all different kinds of discussions. Please Log in or Register to Post!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

New Horizons

Welcome to New Horizons-A forum for all different kinds of discussions. Please Log in or Register to Post!

New Horizons

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Help me improve my essay please

Ahmed
    Ahmed
    NH Admin
    NH Admin

Number of posts : 51452
    Username Change Points : 60939
    Registration date : 2007-10-14
    Mood : Help me improve my essay please Tired

Help me improve my essay please Empty Help me improve my essay please

Post by Ahmed Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:19 pm

Ok everyone. This is one of those times when I need as much help as I can. I had to write an essay about a book that I read this summer. Using 3 literary techniques I needed to say how the author uses them to convey his message to the reader. This is for an AP Literature class. So here is what I wrote. Please read it and comment on it or edit it if you like. It would be very appreciated.

--------->Emily Bronte used many literary techniques to convey her theme of the power of love to her readers. The novel Wuthering Heights, as a whole, was an allusion of the play Romeo and Juliet where the theme was the same in both works of literature. Foreshadowing of the theme was done through Heathcliff’s description. Finally, parallelism was used to show how the theme stayed true throughout the story. In Bronte’s work, Wuthering Heights, it shows that society often puts restraints upon lovers that keep them from being with each other, but the power of love ultimately overcomes the power of society.
    ---------->The whole of the novel, Wuthering Heights, is an allusion of the play Romeo and Juliet In Wuthering Heights, Heathcliff and Catherine were deep lovers. However, they were separated by social factors such as status and wealth as it says in the novel. Catherine talks of the economic aspects of the social when she says, “… if Heathcliff and I married, we should be beggars? Whereas, if I marry Linton, I can aid Heathcliff to rise, and place him out of my brother's power." (pg.81). Furthermore, Heathcliff speaks of the physical social " I wish I had light hair and a fair skin, and was dressed and behaved as well, and had a chance of being as rich as he will be." (pg.55) Even though Heathcliff and Catherine couldn’t be together in their earthly lives they were able to meet each other in their afterlives, as it says, “… a little boy with a sheep and two lambs before him. He was crying terribly, and I supposed the lambs were skittish and would not be guided.” (pg.336). This implies that the ghosts of Heathcliff and Catherine finally met up, even if it was after their deaths. This conveys the message that love ultimately defeats any obstacles in its way. And since this message was also found in Romeo and Juliet it means that this a very old theme that has been repeated for centuries, and this adds value and importance to it.
    ------------->Foreshadowing was used to convey the message via Heathcliff’s description. Heathcliff was described as a “…dark-skinned gipsy” (pg.3). Also “…[Heathcliff’s] clothes,...had seen three months' service in mire and dust, and his thick uncombed hair, the surface of his face and hands was dismally beclouded.” (pg.52). When compared to the norm at the time, which was people being clean and white, this made Heathcliff seem as a symbol of rebellion. Heathcliff’s rebelliousness was shown when he was willing to change his social and economic status so he could be with Catherine, even though the society frowned upon and was in discontent of the union of the two. Heathcliff broke the general social rules of the time, by becoming a very rich and powerful dark-skinned man. His success indirectly gave Catherine the message that he was willing to break the obstacles of the social restrictions that was placed on them by the community.
    ----------->Another important literary technique that Bronte used to portray the themeto the reader was parallelism. There was a clear parallelism of ideas and actions that was established between Heathcliff and Catherine’s love, and and little Catherine’s love. Heathcliff and Catherine did not marry due to social pressures by the society and economic standings between them. Heathcliff then left Catherine to improve himself as much as he can so that they can get married. On the other hand, Hareton and little disliked each other at one point. Initially, little Catherine viewed Hareton as an ignorant and barbaric person. Furthermore, Hareton was Heathcliff’s servant, and little Catherine was Linton’s pampered daughter. Therefore, marriage between them was unthinkable because they were exact opposites socially. However, Hareton eventually improved himself and overcame the obstacles, as Nelly said, "Mr. Hareton is desirous of increasing his amount of knowledge," (pg.301). This want for knowledge was driven by nothing other than his love for little Catherine. Eventually, Hareton overcame the obstacles that separated him from little Catherine’s love and they married. Therefore the motif was that love ultimately overcame the social pressures and obstacles that separated the lovers.
    ----------->In conclusion, nothing could defeat the power of love. This message has been delivered to readers since the time of Shakespeare, with only the characters and plot changing in every book. The element of rebellion, which was picked up from Heathcliff’s description, further helps the reader to come to the conclusion of the thesis statement. Finally, parallelism was used to confirm the thesis by repeating it twice throughout the novel.

**Thanks for your helpful comments and edits Justice Smile

P.S.: This essay is copyrighted by me since I wrote it. So please don't copy it anywhere else.
    Craig
    Craig
    NH Member
    NH Member

Number of posts : 10059
    Username Change Points : 19173
    Registration date : 2009-07-27

Help me improve my essay please Empty Re: Help me improve my essay please

Post by Craig Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:46 pm

Dude, you haven't been in school for a full week yet and you already need help? How did you pass?
    Ahmed
    Ahmed
    NH Admin
    NH Admin

Post by Ahmed Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:55 pm

I don't need help writing it. I already did. I just need other people to give inputs. That's all.
    Justice
    Justice
    NH Member
    NH Member

Number of posts : 741
    Username Change Points : 6251
    Registration date : 2010-04-29
    Mood : Help me improve my essay please Busy

Post by Justice Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:37 pm

Craig i doubt you know what AP classes are. Just read it give it a grade and tell us what you like about it/what you though was wrong
    Craig
    Craig
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by Craig Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:41 pm

Oh I didn't realize there was replies...
    I was saying that in sarcasm...
    Ahmed
    Ahmed
    NH Admin
    NH Admin

Post by Ahmed Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:50 pm

This forum has gotten very unhelpful unfortunetely. Anyways, this topic will be open till late Sunday.
    Craig
    Craig
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by Craig Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:55 pm

Okay, I'll read it before I goto sleep and think of ways to improve it while I'm trying to sleep.
    Ahmed
    Ahmed
    NH Admin
    NH Admin

Post by Ahmed Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:58 pm

Thanks bro.
    Ahmed
    Ahmed
    NH Admin
    NH Admin

Post by Ahmed Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:47 am

Bump
    Craig
    Craig
    NH Member
    NH Member

Post by Craig Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:22 am

Shoot, I forgot about it...
    Ahmed
    Ahmed
    NH Admin
    NH Admin

Post by Ahmed Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:51 pm

Ok go on
    Ace
    Ace
    NH Noble Member
    NH Noble Member

Number of posts : 4361
    Username Change Points : 11120
    Registration date : 2010-03-18
    Mood : Help me improve my essay please Cool

Post by Ace Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:46 pm

The whole of the novel, Wuthering Heights, is an allusion of the play Romeo and Juliet. In Wuthering Heights, Heathcliff and Catherine were deep lovers.

Second paragraph, first sentence. There should be a period.

Another important literary technique that Bronte used to portray the themeto the reader was parallelism.

There should be a space.

In conclusion,

Yeah...my teachers get annoyed when people put that in their conclusion. I don't remember why, though...It's too boring, too obvious, and too unoriginal or something like that.
    Ahmed
    Ahmed
    NH Admin
    NH Admin

Post by Ahmed Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:50 pm

But it makes sense LOL

Sponsored content